Monday, October 7, 2013

Outfits Inspired by my favorite literary characters. (Part I)

Firstly, I need to be honest and say that I got the idea of "Outfits Inspired By..." from collegefashion.net. They do such great fashion inspirations that I thought I would try it out. I am a complete book worm. I can get totally lost in the story of a book that the hours just fly by. I just love it. I have a lot of favorite literary characters, and most of them are fictional. Anyhow, I thought I would start off with two of my favorite ones from the Lemony Snicket books. A Series Of Unfortunate Events. For those of you who've never read the books, I HIGHLY recommend them. The series follows the three Baudelaire orphans, who after losing their parents and home in a mysterious fire, have to be sent to live with various strange guardians. There was a movie based on the books, which came out in 2004. I saw the movie, fell in love with it and on my next trip to the bookstore, bought the continuing books. I bought the books 4, 5 and 6 (because the movie is based on the books 1, 2 and 3). And continued reading as I purchased the next books from the series. Two of my favorite characters from the books are pretty obvious; Violet Baudelaire and her baby sister Sunny Baudelaire. As well as in Harry Potter, I have A LOT of favorite characters in this series of books. I just think these two lovable characters make it so appealing to take fashion inspiration from.

First is Violet Baudelaire. She's the eldest of the Baudelaire children and is described as an incredibly talented inventor. She always has a solution for any tough situation she and her siblings find themselves in. She's fourteen at the beginning of the books and when she's coming up with a new invention, ties her hair up with a ribbon (to keep it out of her eyes). 
I think Violet's personality is very mature for her age, she has openly stated that she hates the color pink and she's also very protective of her brother and sister. As her other two siblings, she's polite and educated and has a very quick mind.
Violet Baudelaire Inspiration
I think this Valentino dress fits Violet's personality perfectly. It's black, but not to the point that it looks goth. I actually looks elegant and sophisticated, without breaking the theme of the books. It has an embroidered collar, with matching cuffs. For the tights, I chose simple lace ones because (again) they're elegant and look chic. Also, they go hand in hand with the theme of the series. A pair of suede Chloe flats in plum (which kind of look like a little more of a red wine color to me...) and finally, the finishing touch; a silk ribbon in her hair. When I picture Violet in my mind, this is really and example of how she would be dressed. Simple, timeless and completely elegant. Here's Violet in the books' illustrations (left) and in the movie (right).
                                                                                           



















Sunny Baudelaire, is the youngest of the three Baudelaire children. She's an infant at the time the books take place, and expresses herself with her own made up words that only her siblings can understand. She is said to have a liking to bite things (probably because of her baby teeth) and later in the series develops a talent for cooking meals. Sunny has a little more brighter personality than her sister Violet, I assume this is because she's still very young. But as her brother and sister, is educated and polite, too. 

Sunny Baudelaire Inspiration
Because Sunny is practically a baby, I think this light blue dress from Dorothy Perkins fits her well. I chose a Peter Pan style collar because in the books, Sunny's dresses always have one around her neck. Creamy white tights and a pair of simple ballerina flats in a beige tone. I finished the look off with a ribbon for her hair, as in the books, she is also always shown to wear one. This look is simple, and not as elegant as Violet's outfit, although in it's simplicity it shows that Sunny is still very young and has that innocence one has as a baby. It's feminine without being ridiculous or having pinkish tones, and brings to the table exactly what Sunny brings to the series; a light and easy feel in contrast to all the gloominess. 


Here is Sunny in the books (left) and in the movie (right). Adorable baby girl. 




                                                      












For now, this are the two looks I have come up with. I enjoy doing "outfit inspirations" and think I will do a lot more of them. What do you think about the way I displayed Violet and Sunny's personalities through clothing? Did I get it right, or would you change something? 

*kisskiss* - Adrienne. 

No comments:

Post a Comment